Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July 1, 2009 Chimney Swift update

After posting on June 26th, I decided to take another look at the nest site after seeing a European Starling hanging around the chimney top. On June 27th I checked out the nest, only to find it gone. The nest and contents were at the bottom of chimney. Still not sure if the starling was the culprit or a heavy rain storm.
Today, I decided to take another look since I observed the Chimney Swift go down the chimney stack again. I was surprised to find another completed nest with one egg. If this is the same pair all the activity has been since June 20th. Hopefully there will be no more disruptions!

Good birding and Happy Canada Day!, Bruce


Second attempt at nesting.


The Chimney Swift also known as the "flying cigar" due to its shape is becoming a rare sight these days. It is now federally listed as a threatened species which has declined in Canada over the past 40 years.

No comments: