Friday, October 30, 2009

October 26, 2009 Backyard surprise Eastern Screech-Owl

It's always exciting to find an owl especially in or near your backyard. Ben and I discovered a gray morph Eastern Screech-Owl near our home and were able to watch it as it came out of a cavity and prepared for its evening hunt. It became very active at dusk, never called but began flying around perching and watching the ground for supper. Once dark out, the screech-owl disappeared and that was it for the evening. The following morning I found the remains of a small rodent and white wash but no owl to be found. The Eastern Screech-Owl prefers roosting during the daytime in tree cavities or holes and is active at night. I've check the area a few times but it hasn't returned or do to the recent rainy weather isn't as active.



Blending in to its surroundings.


As the sun set the Eastern Screech-Owl became more active.


Almost ready to leave its roost site.


Looking for supper!

1 comment:

Chris Bruce said...

Great find, Bruce! I can relate to the excitement of finding this owl because I occasionally have a Barred Owl show up in my trees. But I'd be extra thrilled to find an ESOW close to home!