Sunday, November 25, 2012

November 12-17, 2012 A late lingering Gray Catbird in Carp.

 

On November 12th while walking down my lane I noticed a Gray Catbird feeding in my neighbour's crap apple tree. The bird was quite tame and I was able to watched it for a few minutes as it ate the berries. I went back home, got my camera and managed to get a couple of photos. This is a very late date for the Gray Catbird and I suspect it will likely attempt to overwinter. This is my first November record but I've seen Gray Catbird in late December and January coming to my parent's feeder at Constance Bay a number of years ag. Both Ben and I saw the catbird on and off during the week but it was only present for short periods of time and would disappear for most of the day. Unfortunately by November 17th all the crap apples were gone do to a flock of 25+ Bohemian Waxwing, 6 Pine Grosbeak, and a couple of European Starlings which came in on November 15th and consumed most of them. There are still lots of fruit/berry trees in the neighbourhood.   Since there is no snow yet and temperatures are somewhat mild I sure this catbird will find a feeder or other berries to eat in the area. 



A late lingering Gray Catbird was a surprise as it fed on crab apples.  


Gray Catbird


Gray Catbird

A flock of Bohemian Waxwings finished off the fruit on this tree.


A male Pine Grosbeak feeds on crab apples.
 


The Gray Catbird sometimes appeared briefly before dusk likely spending the night in a nearby dense cedar tree.

No comments: